[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Jun 30 13:51:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 05:23:27PM +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:

> So why not make up a law that, for instance, that allows bus drivers to make
> more money? Like, make using your car illegal. And if you are a bus driver,
> you would also say - "if you'd own a bus, you'd support that law, since
> before I did not get that much money, now I have great income".

This fails completely. If you drive your own car then you don't
have to pay the bus driver. And if you write your own music you
don't have to pay a composer to do it for you.

You could as well suggest that the bus driver should do his
work for free. And let's generalise that: everybody just goes
on doing what he/she did before without getting any money for
it, you just take what you need from the store which gets its
products for free from manufacturers and farmers, etc. etc.

Just try to imagine how long it will last.

BTW, Berloiz' memoirs are a good read anyway. Some parts of
it are quite amusing like his troubles with the conservatory
director, Cherubini. Or Berlioz' plans (abandoned) to murder
his former fiancée, her family, and finally himself.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?