[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Jun 30 15:21:17 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 10:14:27 Paul Davis wrote:
> as i see it, the same argument applies to artists and other people who
> spend time creating expressions of ideas. the big question is whether
> or not society agrees that it is desirable for such work to be able to
> be the basis of a way of making living. if a musician/composer is
> going to make a living from their work, its important for them to
> retain control over people's ability to copy what they create.

Or to be paid up front, in full before releasing the first copy... Or to?

> if we
> want a society in which people can do this sort of thing for a living,
> giving them this control (on reasonable terms)

This is currently the big rub. The terms today are not reasonable. Far from
it. But supposedly these totally over the top terms are still not good enough
to ensure that the artists can survive.

What to do? Personally, I rather try and live with no copyright than what we
have now.

Do you have or know of a set of proposed reasonable terms that will allow
artists to survive?

all the best,

drew