[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Jun 30 17:28:02 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 13:12:05 Paul Davis wrote:
> the claim here is that the development of an idea before it is
> expressed is a form of work. if the work is to be rewarded, its either
> going to be done before, at or after the point at which an expression
> of the idea is released into the world.

before: will work without any copyright law
at: will work without any copyright law
after: might work some without any copyright law but probably very
problematic.

> because copying the expression
> is so easy, its not easy to see how one can ensure sufficient revenue
> from the release to make it feasible for the artist to *work* as an
> artist.

So, you think that the before and at options are not viable?

> i'm fine (to some extent) with the conclusion that we, as a society,
> no longer wish to pay artists & creatives to do what they do. but if
> that's really going to be the conclusion, we'd better think very
> carefully about all the side effects. i'm not sure its pretty, and it
> may be even less pretty than the world in which disney and sonny bono
> get everything they ask for.

This I seriously doubt. Putting someone off the internet for *being accused*
of violating copyright three times is way over the top.

Putting someone in jail for 4 or 5 years because they thought they were buying
a legit CD and were ripped off by the seller is way over the top.

Making someone sell their home to pay for the "damage" incurred by a big corp
(or you) when the person's child did some song swapping on  the net is way
over the top.

all the best,

drew