[LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Mar 1 03:53:35 EST 2010

On 03/01/2010 05:07 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> but that piece gave me one particular headache: the phasiness artefacts
>> were very apparent, to the point that we decided to apply random
>> staggering to the delays (which i had measured to within a few cms,
>> sigh!). that fixed it.
>
> Interesting. I don't think I quite understand. Do you have code for
> that? Or any suggestions?

i was using ambdec... first you can try to deactivate delay compensation
altogether (but that's a little extreme for the corner speakers in a
rectangular rig), so i backed up the configuration file and modified the
distance measurements to introduce small arbitrary errors.

> A couple of weeks ago I did Phoné and it also sounded very good (this
> time inside our small concert hall).

haven't heard it. also by chowning?

>> i'd love to try such a rig outdoors, i can imagine how nice it could be.
>
> It was very very nice. The backyard is not so big and is flanked on two
> sides by the building itself. See it here:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=&vps=1&jsv=209c&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.443045,66.708984&ie=UTF8&geocode=FfT_OgIdBsy3-A&split=0

that link does not work for me - nothing obvious though, the line-break
isn't the problem.

> We bought 8 new QSC speakers and used a couple of old Meyer subs and
> after calibrating a little bit it was sounding great. I did not measure
> to the centimeter but it still worked. I imagine with all your
> experience you would do a much better job.

or not. as i've had to learn, don't measure too well :-D