[LAU] LAU] 5.1 to ambisonices (was: more than 4 channels for listening? Really?)

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Mar 2 17:10:11 EST 2010

[Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> So my idea is to split the rear channels into six or more channels distributed
> around the rear side of the circle (or even sphere) to have a more surrounding
> feeling and overcome the hole in the panning.

The alternative to having multiple virtual
speakers fed with the same signal is to spread
a single channel out.  You split the channel
into a range of frequencies, and then place
each frequency at a different position.  This
was a technique used on the old analogue
Ambisonics studio kit.

The same idea is used in the PS22 Stereo
Maker plug-in from Waves Audio although, in
this case, it is being used to spread a
single channel into stereo.  The screenshot on
Page 21 of their manual should give you the
idea, visit:
http://www.waves.com/Manuals/Plugins/PS22.pdf

It should also be straightforward to extend the
technique to 3-D using an elliptical spiral.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org