[LAU] Fractally fuzzy music?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 04:05:38 EST 2010

Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:19:34 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I've thought about a "music" in which notes might have "fractal
>> fuzziness" to them - for example, what looks like a quarter note is
>> really 8 simultaneous (or non-simultaneous) 32nd notes, each having a
>> frequency that is some fractally-derived distance from the base quarter
>> note's frequency, and perhaps their timing/duration could also be
>> fractally derived ... I don't suppose someone knows of such a thing
>> already being done?
>
> Sounds an interesting idea, but I would think it'd be a nightmare to
> produce!

Thank you all for the fascinating responses. I was visualizing it more
on a score, with a "zoom" to see the sub-components of the quarter note.
I imagine that "quarter" note playing would be a bit richer and change
dynamically as its component 32nd notes played ... will have to look
into this sometime!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com