[LAU] A crazy idea

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Mar 4 06:27:59 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:27:43AM +0000, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:

> Yes - I have a cycle computer that can measure cadence. However, I
> typically pedal between 60 and 90 rpm which means my reading would only
> be available for sampling every 0.7 - 1.0s. It would work, but in the
> space of one second my cadence can vary a lot if I'm accelerating so the
> sound of the rising revs would be jumpy.
> Also, if I suddenly stopped pedalling, it might take up to a second for
> the sampler to register and kill the engine noise. I don't think it
> would be a very satisfactory experience, which is why I was thinking of
> mounting 10 or so magnets around the chainwheel, to be able to sample
> the cadence every 0.1s.

That would be a good rate. But for a realistic result you also
need to measure the force you are putting on the pedals, or the
chain tension - the noise of an engine depends very much on the
amount of power it has to deliver.

I've been working on engine noise simulation - it's not very
difficult unless you want to exactly simulate an existing car.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?