[LAU] changing for editing /etc/security/limits.conf in debian testing (ubuntu lucid)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Mar 5 08:24:57 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Jeremy <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 02:09 PM, Pablo Fernandez wrote:
>>
>> I wonder about the nice value. It is there but commented out.
>> jackaudio.org <http://jackaudio.org> don't even mention it. What is it for?
>>

>> Cheers! Pablo
>>
> Hello Pablo,
>
> It's to 'renice' (prioritise) processes. But since prioritising
> processes with rtprio works better the nice setting is not necessary
> anymore afaik.

not pick on you jeremy, just wanting to make it more likely that
people find this via google: .... no! renice has NEVER been the right
way to make audio work. the fact that it happens, in a few cases, to
have some beneficial impact has apparently misled some people who
don't understand how this all works. nice and renice have absolutely
nothing to do with making sure that audio plays correctly. the
capability that they represent should not be used for this purpose,
and people who spread around patches to limits.conf that include it
are simply confusing people with an error.

--p