[LAU] [LAD] Descent synth as dssi

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Mar 6 01:19:42 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 10:16:51AM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Gerald Mwangi <gerald.mwangi at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi, does anyone know a synth powerfull like zynadd, phasex or
> > bristol,but in dssi format? I need something I can load into Rosegarden,
> > since I dont want 10 Standalones running, until ardour, rg and the
> > synths support LASH, if that ever happens.
>
> I have no idea why, but I have a warm, fuzzy soft place in my heart
> for DSSI plugins.  they always seem to just work.  whysynth has
> already been mentioned, but be sure to check out the calf monosynth,
> which can be run as a DSSI plugin:
>
> jack-dssi-host calf.so:Monosynth
>
> check out the DSSI home page too, for a lot of other options.
>
> I'm hoping this thread will reveal some that I don't know about!  we
> really need something like specimen in DSSI format.
>
> > I think LASH should be integrated into Jack, to make it mandatory for
> > linux audio apps. The missing LASH support is one of the main issues
> > disturbing me, when working with linux audio. Now I've said it, ha.
> > I'm thinking of having Jack require a Load/Save callback, prior to
> > activating the client. How feasible is that?
>
> why oh why oh why did you throw this paragraph in?  now no one wants
> to talk about DSSI anymore... :(

+1 for Calf Monosynth and WhySynth. They, in addition to AMS and PHASEX, are the synths I've used most.

Zyn is kind of old and doesn't do RT; the new thing is Yoshimi, and I dunno if it supports LASH or ladish, but I'd guess both.

For the record, I *HATE* session management and I don't run LASH at all when I can avoid it (IIRC, there's some synth that I use or used which requires LASH, so I occasionally have to start it up).

I generally can't stand technologies that try to be "smart" and do things I don't explicitly instruct them to do. Frustrates the hell out of me.

FWIW, I am also the kind of guy who turns off autocomplete and spelling checkers whenever I can.

-ken