[LAU] jackdmp/netjack: slow mode, latencies... (was:Re: netjack1/2)

Aurelien tyranorl at free.fr
Sat Mar 6 07:08:53 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 09:50:23PM -1000, david wrote :
> Aurelien wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 03:45:37PM -0500, David Santamauro wrote :

> >> Just closing this topic off in case someone stumbles upon it from an
> >> internet search: I monitored my network traffic and found mountd
> >> transmitted, I think every 20s, from port 771 to 2049 and that
> >> coincided with my xruns. I umounted my 2 NFS drives and haven't had an
> >> xrun since -- at least not with 2 channels.
> >
> > Actually, I re-open it!
> >
> > I use netjack2 for weird purposes which doesn't share any audio stream,
> > actually. Only MIDI and jack_transport sync, finally.
> > Though, I sometimes get xruns, which can be stopped by unloading the
> > netmanager, and relaunching everything on the slave machine (which runs
> > with the -S mode), and then reloading netmanager.
> > Couldn't find what it came from.....
>
> Maybe try replacing NetworkManager with wicd?

OK.
Sorry, for the late reply, I wasn't on the good machine these last days.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean. I've been googling a bit about
wicd (which I already heard about), and I found it was kind of a network
manager, in some ways, but I didn't see anything telling I can use it
with netjack. Perhaps I misoriented you when typing "reloading
netmanager", I was actually talking about:

jack_load netmanager
and
jack_unload netmanager

commands, which are linked to jeckd and netjack.

by the way, I'd like to benchmark a bit my latencies today, as I'm
quite sure (I feel it, actually) they are bigger with jackdmp/netjack2
than they were with jack 0.116/netjack1. Not sure it comes from netjack
or from jackdmp, or whatever.
I use it with slow mode, which is, if I understand well, the best way to
keep latencies smaller as possible on the master machine.

What do you suggest me to use for the benchmarks?

Thanks.
Aurélien

--
Aurélien