[LAU] [LAD] Descent synth as dssi

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Mar 9 14:54:11 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:51:59PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> 2010/3/9 Julius Smith <julius.smith at gmail.com>:
> > Since I always use shell scripts to get as close as I can to a
> > particular set-up state, I would love to see more support for that, to
> > the point that it doesn't have to look like scripting to an end user.
> > For example, each app could respond to a message to return its state
> > in shell-script form, like a ~/.jackdrc file, and the session saver
> > would simply append these to a startup script that it can run behind
> > the scenes to restore the session. ?Of course, ?active connections
> > among apps need to be uniquely identified in some way (OSC?), and apps
> > should be able to accept connection specifications that are not
> > immediately "ready", etc., so that the segments can be run in any
> > order.
>
> this is all part of the current proposal to add session mgmt to jack,
> which has been discussed a great deal on the jack mailing list.

The biggest hassle I have with saving setups, is auto-save. Things change, and get saved, and I didn't want them to be. I don't recall if that happened with LASH, but I suspect it might have once, and if so it would explain why I swore off it forever after that.

If the new JACK session feature only saves things when I ask it to, then sure, that could be useful. Even better if it saves its state in a format that is human-readable and can be diff'ed, or put into git for versioning.

-ken