[LAU] Music made with Linux -- Lady Gaga as hard rock

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 22:15:59 EST 2010

I am taking a course on arranging for rhythm section through Berklee
College. Our first project was to take an existing tune and arrange in
any style we choose. I randomly chose "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga and
turned into progressive guitar rock.

http://www.electricminstrel.com/mediafiles/bad_romance.mp3

This was done with OpenOctave MIDI & Rosegarden Thorn, Ardour and
Jamin (using Amplitube for guitar tones and BFD2 for drum samples on a
slave machine). We also have to produce sheet music for the class and
I am doing all of mine in Lilypond, of course (while seeing other
people struggle with Finale and Sibelius). My ultimate plan is to get
an Master Certificate in Orchestration from Berklee using Linux for
the entire program (the exception being some sample libraries hosted
on the slave machine). The next term will be for Film Scoring.

-- Brett