[LAU] CC for dummies

Nils Hammerfest list at nilsgey.de
Sat Mar 13 06:54:09 EST 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:29:29 +0100
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't understand the CC license at all. I could dig through a jungle
> starting with google, and I *have* read and understood the basics
> regarding CC. I'm hoping for some personal experiences in plain
> language. Here goes:

First: CC is not CC. There is the "Name Author and Origin" switch and the "Commercial" switch, too.
The last one is important if you aim to

> 1) What's the advantages for the artist with CC compared to "All rights
> reserved".

The music becomes more widespread making you more known and famous. And because its ideologically good your reputation shifts toward the "good side of the force" making it more likely that your music encourages the production of Remixes.
For me it exactly what I want because my marketing strategy is "Get known, make money with live-music, merchandise and other ways except selling the music as a product".

It also forces any people who use your music to produce samplers/compilations, remixes etc. to release it under the same license. This is the same Copyleft as in the GPL and ensures the freedom is granted.

> 2) What's the disadvantages for the artist with CC compared to "All
> rights reserved".
You cannot sell your music as a product (CDs, Digital Download, DRM) anymore. Of course technically you could but it makes no sense if the music is also available for free.
It also forces any people who use your music to produce samplers, remixes etc. to release it under the same license. This is the same Copyleft as in the GPL and makes it unlikely that you will get you music on any commercial samplers/compilation, except you grant special licenses.

> 3) What's the advantages for the consumer with CC compared to "All
> rights reserved".
In reality its basically means its free of cost, you can share it and its all legal. You can do whatever you want with the music, remix it sell the remix (if the license is *-sa) etc.

> I assume there's no disadvantages for the customer with CC...
You cannot just take the CC-music and produce a closed, copyleft-free new derived work. But well, this is not "consumer"... if there is a border between consumer and producer anymore.

Nils
http://www.denemo.org