[LAU] HDSP 9652+Win 7 == update flash - bye bye Linux audio & Alsa?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Mar 16 15:37:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>   I'd be happy to try to involve RME if there's some real chance that
> a Linux developer will really work on the issues. I don't want to try
> to pump them up and then not have anyone here to really look at it.
> Are you the person that would do this work? You're so busy with Ardour
> that for the good of the community you wouldn't be my first choice as

I wasn't volunteering. But I do know that there are people who will
make the (apparently) minor tweaks to the driver to make it operate
with the new firmware (although its also very far from clear if any
changes at all are necessary).

> I think this is a smaller issue than Ardour. I know you have used RME
> for years although I wasn't aware that you used an HDSP series card,
> if you do.

I do.

> when I got around to trying to load audio drivers I went to the RME
> web site and they stated very clearly that the Win 7 drivers require
> the newest firmware. I don't blame them. It's probably good stuff, but
> it looks like it will finally break compatibility with the 'old
> firmware to make Alsa drivers work' construct.

that's not clear to me from the material that you quoted. i dealt with
several RME firmware upgrades in the past, and they were trivial to
support. you need to understand that the "firmware" is not actually
firmware at all. its just some data to be loaded into the matrix
mixer.

--p