[LAU] Finding the delay/latency of a Zoom

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Mar 16 17:31:29 EDT 2010

I have been boxed into a little corner here since the band that shares our practice room has run off with all of our mics and cables, so I can't use my M-Audio FastTrack for recording, and instead have been reduced to using a Zoom H2 as a mic.

It sounds good, but the latency is horrendous, like seconds, even though it supposedly has the same latency settings 128/n3 that I use on the M-Audio.

I've been tracking with it and it's a huge PITA to always have to be shifting tracks over in Ardour after they're recorded.

What's worse, there's no way to turn off hardware monitoring on it, so I can't use Fons' excellent jack_delay tool to measure the latency.

Any ideas how to measure latency on this thing a "manual" way, not using Fons's tool, and given that there's no way to turn off monitoring, so I can't just pipe the line out into the line in as a loop without getting some awful digital feedback.

Finally, once I theoretically do obtain that information, is there any way in Ardour to shift a region over by an exact number of milliseconds or samples? i.e. instead of dragging it, to set it's start position by typing in a number?

Thanks.

-ken