[LAU] measuring "average RMS"

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Mar 17 15:05:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 05:56:08PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>
> > Note that the result is *not* the 'average RMS' level
> > but the maximum RMS over any 1 second period.
>
> In fact I think that's even more what I'd want. I'm trying to figure out
> if I over-compress my audio, and to that end soft passages don't really
> count...

Depends on what you call 'over-compressing'. If you're
using heavy compression to squeeze out the last dB on
material that is already high level most of the time
you're right.

OTOH, compressing a classical piece from 40dB dynamic
range to just a few dB is certainly 'over-compressing'
to my taste, yet it would probably make little or no
differerence to the value measured by 'normalize -n'.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?