[LAU] measuring "average RMS"

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Mar 17 19:53:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:54:08PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>
> > Depends on what you call 'over-compressing'.
>
> I'm comparing this:
>
> http://soundcloud.com/atte/til-kernen
> http://atte.dk/tmp/til_kernen.png
>
> With this:
>
> http://soundcloud.com/atte/til-kernen-remastered
> http://atte.dk/tmp/til_kernen_remastered.png

I recorded both into an Ardour session so I could
switch between them. AFAICS, the second can be
boosted by around 1.2 dB to have the same peak
levels as the first.

There are two things to consider here:

A. the level of the of the 'soft' piano parts,
B. the amount of compression used on the 'drums' parts.

For (B), I *absolutely* do prefer the second (less squeezed)
version. As for (A), both work, it would depend on where you
play this what is best.

But you can actually control them separately.

BTW, nice reverb on the piano, what is it ?

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?