[LAU] measuring "average RMS"

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Mar 17 20:00:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:22:17PM +0000, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 20:05 +0100, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>
> > OTOH, compressing a classical piece from 40dB dynamic
> > range to just a few dB is certainly 'over-compressing'
> > to my taste, yet it would probably make little or no
> > differerence to the value measured by 'normalize -n'.
>
> Maybe what would be good is a thing that displays a histogram of dynamic
> range, so you can see the spread of loudness in a sample.

Yes, that could be very useful. And given the histogram
you could program an ad-hoc dynamics processor to tune
a recording into whatever is required.
That's just an example of something more general: non-RT
processing is much more powerfull than RT. That goes for
things like pitch correction as well.

Ciao,

--
FA