[LAU] OT: Which crappy mic should I use?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Mar 18 20:24:03 EDT 2010

So I am recording the band's vocals tomorrow for this record, and, due to acute poverty and our practice-room-mates absconding with all the mics, the only mics we have available to us now are:

1) Shure PG-58 (with on-off switch! woo-hoo!)
and
2) Zoom H2

Which of these not-very-good choices would you recoomend would be slightly less crappy for recording vocals?

The Zoom has condenser mics, which to my ears are quite good, but are designed for ambient recordings and might not handle sound pressure levels of close-range vocal use. Also, it has that 188ms delay in it too, and no way to turn off hardware monitoring. How bad is the PG-58 though?

-ken