[LAU] OT: Which crappy mic should I use?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Mar 18 21:13:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 01:47 +0100, Philipp wrote:
> Excerpts from Ken Restivo's message of 2010-03-19 01:24:03 +0100:
> > So I am recording the band's vocals tomorrow for this record, and, due to acute poverty and our practice-room-mates absconding with all the mics, the only mics we have available to us now are:
> >
> > 1) Shure PG-58 (with on-off switch! woo-hoo!)
> > and
> > 2) Zoom H2
> >
> > Which of these not-very-good choices would you recoomend would be slightly less crappy for recording vocals?
>
> I have no experience with either, but ..
>
> > The Zoom has condenser mics, which to my ears are quite good, but are designed for ambient recordings and might not handle sound pressure levels of close-range vocal use.
>
> I doubt that vocal sound pressure really is an issue, just make sure you
> don't get 'wind' noises.

    The mics in the H2 are pretty darn good.  Here's a little trick that
can save you a few bucks on a pop filter...  you can make your own pop
filter using an old pair of stockings and a coat hanger.  Just make a
small loop with the coat hanger, slip the end of the stockings over the
loop, cut to size, and duct tape the thing to your mic stand.  I used
one for a couple of years and it worked fine (I did finally spring for a
store bought one but it doesn't work any better than the than the home
made one - although it looks nicer).  Oh, you might want to wash the
stockings first ;-)