[LAU] OT - Ear Protection [was: Which crappy mic...]

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 14:55:40 EDT 2010

On 23 March 2010 01:08, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:
> I can still tell the difference between my MXLs, AKGs, Audixs and
> my friend's Neumann and Audio Technica, which all sound great,
> but different.  Protect what you have, or what you have left.

Plus, extra care when you're young. Because you might regret taking
your hearing for granted as we all lose 1Hz a day. That of course,
hasn't made any old-timer audio engineer quit what he does best, and
neither has tobacco nor alcohol.

A very interesting case I've seen (and heard) firsthand is that of an
engineer who does it best after a smoke (or rather, he can't do
anything without a smoke). In case you didn't know already, smoking is
supposed to hamper hearing by a significant margin, more than
intoxication.

1) Don't listen to music with headphones while letting everyone else
around a 10-metre radius know what you're doing.

2) Don't use cotton buds for ear-cleaning, visit a professional (maybe
$15 a month). I have had blood on my buds before and I can only guess
how much damaged my ears are now. It's probably why I'm very bad with
frequencies at extreme ends.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD