[LAU] qtractor questions

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 15:18:36 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:

> On 03/22/2010 10:07 AM, rosea grammostola wrote:
> >
> > Some questions about qtractor:
> >
> >     * You can't render the midi track to wav? How do you get an whole
> >       session into an audio file?
>
> midi is meant to be rendered by a sound generator module, a synth, a
> sampler, a stand-alone or an instrument plugin (dssi, vsti or lv2); you
> can drive external midi outboard equipment as well, which in fact was
> and still is the primordial goal of a midi sequencer like qtractor.
>
> qtractor does not include/integrate any midi sound generator per se, so
> you cannot render midi tracks directly to audio files. but you can
> record/bound the sound modules output back into qtractor, ardour or any
> other jack enabled hard-disk recorder if you prefer.
>
> qtractor exports audio tracks as audio files; similarly it exports midi
> tracks as standard midi files, nothing else ;)
>

> >     * Why are there no new audio tracks showing up in Jack when you add
> >       a new audio track, like ardour has? Wouldn't this make it more
> >       easy to use it with other apps (for example ardour)?
>
> qtractor is not ardour (tm) -- internal signal flow models are not the
> same, not even close ;)
>
> re. qtractor, each "input bus" feeds a track on recording; each track
> feeds an "output bus" for mixdown/merging on playback; it is these "bus"
> devices that are exposed as jack audio ports or alsa-seq ports (midi)
> from or to the outside world.
>
> again, buses in qtractor are not the same as buses in ardour. in
> qtractor, buses are what you ever see in the jack graph. you never see
> tracks ;)

I don't understand it totally. Let assume I have to midi tracks in qtractor
and I want to record those to two audio tracks in qtractor. But there is
only master_in1 and master_in2.

When I add an audio track, I can only choose for master_in. Also for new
audio track number two, master_in. How to route output of synth 1 to track1
and synth 2 to track 2?

\r