[LAU] M-Audio card in Ubuntu 10.04, also QJackCtl

Fritz Meissner meissner.fritz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 06:31:51 EDT 2010

On 26 March 2010 07:09, Joshua D. Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> Due to my motherboard choice, it turns out I need to use a bleeding edge
> linux, in my case Ubuntu 10.04 beta.
>
>  I may be getting side tracked here from what I really want though.  What
> I really want is to use the M-Audio card with Jack, while still having
> pulseaudio running on the onboard sound so that I can have both nice
> audio applications and Flash outputting at the same time (albeit to
> seperate channels on the mixing board).  I see in QJackCtl that I can
> select the alsa device to use, but it still shuts down pulseaudio
> globally when I select the second card.  And still for some reason the
> second card doesn't want to work correctly here.  When I had this card
> in a prior 8.04 system, I disabled the onboard sound and didn't try this
> dual output trick, but otherwise everything worked auto-magically.

I've been testing the Ubuntu Studio 10.04 (not the beta, but a daily
build from shortly before the beta, so I imagine it's much the same)
because I had been hoping that, now that jack has been brought into
main, PulseAudio would be compiled with jack support so that it didn't
have to be shut down when jack started up. However, it appears that
this has not yet happened, so jack still shuts down PA when it runs.

I'm assuming that they would not be making major changes before final
release, so 10.04 will presumably still not support PA and jack
co-operating.

Fritz