[LAU] Neve filters for Linux?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Mar 27 17:15:45 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:47:04AM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> None of this really addresses the difference in *sound*
> of these supposedly-"magical" filters.

Because there is none. The only difference is the range
of sounds available by changing a single parameter, e.g.
gain.

> http://www.playgroundstudio.com/blog/?p=60

The difference between the SSL and Neve parametrics
is exactly the one I've described. Again, each of the
two can do whatever the other can. The only difference
is that instead of turning one knob to change between
curves in the same picture you may have to turn two.
It would be trivial to make e.g. my Ladpsa plugin
switch between the two. In fact the original version
(a Jack app, not published) provided 4 modes for each
section, one of them 'SSL' style and another 'Neve'.

The Neve shelf with the dip before it rises is rather
nice. But again it doesn't take a special filter to do
that. A normal shelf (+ gain) plus a parametric at the
right frequency (- gain) will have exactly the same
effect. If you *know* that you want that kind of curve,
any parametric can do it. Neve provides it on a single
knob, which may be nice in some cases, and a nuisance
in others.

Ciao,

--
FA