[LAU] Mashup made with Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Mar 29 05:45:49 EDT 2010

On 03/29/2010 04:26 AM, Renato wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:16:26 +1100
> Patrick Shirkey<pshirkey at boosthardware.com>  wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> Here's a little something I whipped up this afternoon/evening with
>> blender, jack, jackEQ and vlc.
>>
>> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/mashups/BeastieBoys-vs-Zeitgeist.mp4
>>
>> It's a bit cheeky and no doubt sure to offend some people but I had
>> an itch and this is the result of scratching it. Plus it was a fun
>> way to go a bit deeper into Blenders capabilities.
>>

>> - I found this tutorial which was very helpful.
>>
>> http://www.straightedgelinux.com/videoBlender/
>>

>> - It's already on you-tube and I've just tweeted and facebooked it
>> too.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63xUzqfeG9k
>> http://twitter.com/djcjevents
>> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=105779566118173
>>

>> Oh Oh, Feeling some lyrics coming on...
>>

>> "Dropping joints like they be hot potatoes.
>> I've got the ambisonic, polysession, future view mutimator.
>> Some might call me a jack of all trades.
>> Coming at cha with Linux, we gonna get paid."
>>

> Interesting. Personally, given the frenetic rhythm of Zeitgeist, i
> would see more appropriate something quite a lot faster

I did this in a few hours. I could cram some more fades and transitions
in but I kind of like the minimalism too. There is nothing to stop
anyone else from remixing it further.

> Is there something like jack for video that permits you to reroute
> video from vlc to blender, or did you have to export every single clip
> from vlc and import it in blender?

I did all the editing in blender with the video sequence editor set to
"sequence" in one panel and "image view" in another plus the timeline
view and the buttons view for exporting the final cut to file.

I then viewed it in vlc->jack->jackEQ for verifying the final versions
audio sync.

Probably didn't need jack+jackEQ but I was also using browsing youtube
at the same time so I found it easier to run vlc through my usb device
instead.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd