[LAU] aligning rhytmic free-ish audio to strict tempo

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sun May 2 14:51:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:44 PM, David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il> wrote:
> For a nice, expressive ballad, I have actually aligned the tempo graphically
> to the audio. Surprisingly effective, possible in qtractor or rosegarden. Set
> tempos so that the beat lines hit the audio where one wants.

Rosegarden has a feature that can sometimes help with this -- Set
Tempos from Beat Segment.  (Hm, wonder why it doesn't say "tempi".)

To use it, record a new segment in which (on a MIDI keyboard or
whatever) you tap one note at each beat -- tapping along with the real
time of the audio or whatever you want to align it with.  Then select
that segment and activate the function (Composition -> Set Tempos from
Beat Segment).  Rosegarden will then calculate a tempo change for each
beat, such that all the other MIDI segments will have their beats
moved to the times you tapped at.

Chris