[LAU] [ANN] Jackbeat 0.7.5

Olivier Guilyardi ml at xung.org
Sun May 2 20:23:51 UTC 2010

On 05/02/2010 09:38 PM, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
[...]

>>> This is only a warning. Does Jackbeat run ok?
>> No, it does not.
>> It looks like a problem with jack - if I start it with -n it opens the
>> GUI at least.
>
> That is bad. Jackbeat should start anyway. Command line switches are sometimes a
> blessing I see :)
>
>> So well ... hmmm if I set the jack-driver *after* opening the GUI with
>> the null-driver, it works. It switches from null to jack without a
>> glitch and is running right now without any issues.
>> Maybe some problem with the initial rc-file?
>
> It could be but I don't think so..
>
>> OK - and now it starts OK with jack after closing it also.
>
> I sense a bug a in Jackbeat.
>
> Could you please choose "Automatic" for the audio output, then close Jackbeat,
> restart it and attach the console output here. Or even better, post a ticket at
> http://jackbeat.samalyse.org/newticket. As you prefer..

Okay, one sec: I'm seeing the same behavior on a box that I upgraded from Debian
Lenny to Squeeze a couple of days ago.

After debugging, I see that the problem is caused by PulseAudio which blocks
*after a few writes* when the audio device is busy. It looks like the PulseAudio
buffers gets filled, and then pa_simple_write() just deadlocks.

If I release the device (eg, exits Rezound, etc..) then it works fine.

This is really unexpected.

Have anybody had such troubles with PulseAudio 0.9.21 on Squeeze or similar?

--
  Olivier