[LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

J bz jbeezez at googlemail.com
Wed May 5 16:08:50 UTC 2010

Hey List,

I'm presenting a paper about the role of the mixer in live performance.

If you will indulge me for a moment, here is the abstract:

As a Laptop musician working within Contemporary Music my skills span many
areas including programming, composition, improvisation and performance: in
sum, these could be described as music production.  None are possible
without some rudimentary experience and knowledge of sound engineering.  But
what would be the appropriate term in a score for the individual whose
instrument is the mixing desk?  Sound engineers are the bottom of the the
musical strata for recordings and performances, yet their job can involve as
much creative and improvisational input as either composers or
performers.

In this presentation, I will examine the possibility that a new term is
needed and a clear distinction required between those skilled in technical
setup for recordings and concerts and those whose  more creative input goes
beyond pushing occasional faders from the back of the room during concerts.
Drawing on the past work of artists such as King Tubby and performances by
modern producers (Adrian Sherwood) I will argue that it is time for a
general reappraisal and acknowledgement of parity for those who 'play' the
mixing desk.

This is from a recent Guardian article,'rock'n'roll jobs explained':

The Sound Engineer
"Audiences only notice the sound man when something bad happens"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/15/rock-n-roll-jobs-explained

Which I think is fair enough for a sound engineer in a standard pop context.

I would like to contrast this with my own personal experience of one of the
best live shows I have ever heard:  Tackhead in the late 1980's with Adrian
Sherwood playing the mixing desk (there's no other word to describe it).
Most of the audience spent half of the time looking at him, and I have a
wonderful memory of how, during the encores, the whole band apart from the
drummer were craning their necks over the front of the stage, because the
wonderful sound that was coming out of the front of house speakers bore very
little relation to the sound on stage coming from the band on stage.

I have also found several contemporary music scores that contain performance
parts for the mixing desk but none of them contain a term for the individual
performer, it's always mixing console or desk.  This has also come up in
discussion within the music dept at Huddersfield Uni where I am currently
based.  A composer has written a duo for sax and mixer and the conversation
got banded around for a few hours with no satisfactory term being discovered
as to what the performer could be credited as; saxophonist and .........  We
agreed that mixer would be the obvious one but that is already taken by the
box(mixing desk) itself.

It strikes me that with mixing consoles becoming more and more powerful
tools surely there is a gap for artists to get more creative with them.  As
a method of signposting this a decent term would be helpful I think.

Any ideas people?

All mine are dodgy:
Mixer Player (bland)
Desk Jockey (too similar to something else)
Mixologist (pretentious)
Live Sound Producer (vague).

Any and all feedback welcome.

Many thanks for your time,