[LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed May 5 22:43:58 UTC 2010

Am 05.05.2010 18:08, schrieb J bz:
> Hey List,

> Any ideas people?

Well, as you have pointed out your self:

If there is a saxophonist, there has to be a mixerist.

Harr harr,,,,

but seriously:

Mixing engineer

would sound quite OK for me but may not be pretentious enough for the
academic music-szene. In contemporary music terms like "electronic
treatments" for mixing-operations seems to be established so what about

electronic treatment operator

remember also that it is not only the mixer and that there are very
differnent sorts of mixers out there indeed. So if someone uses a
6-track phonic to mix the outputs of his/her USB-Interface should this
be the same as if someone operates a 32-track automated Mackie with a
battery of outboard-FX in the inserts?

I saw a hmmm.... mixing operator(?) last year that played a tiny
cheapo-console plus half a dozen delays, filters, sidechain-compressors
etc producing most unusual sounds by manipulating hums, hiss and
switching noises only. Again very much differnt compared with someone
using a 20K-equipment to make 6 people playing instruments in a
sophisticated way sound more interesting by introducing some fades and
stereo-effects.

In a word: I do not think, that a single word could describe that kind
of playing music precisely in all its aspects.

bes regs

HZN