[LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Wed May 5 23:28:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Philipp wrote:
> Excerpts from M Watts's message of 2010-05-06 00:30:32 +0200:
>> On 05/06/2010 02:08 AM, J bz wrote:
>> > Any ideas people?
>> >

>> More dodgy suggestions
>>
>> Mixmaster (food preparation machine)
>> Mixer Fixer
>> Mixpert
>> Speaker Tweaker
>> Slider Spider
>> Non-playing Musician
>
> Maybe have a look at the reggae scene? Afaik it's quite common there to
> involve the person at the mixing desk, to play with effects like delays
> and so on.
> However, I don't know how they call it. Shouldn't be too hard to figure
> out.
> --
Operator is what they call them in the soundsystem (DJ crew incl. PA)
context, probably at concerts as well. Among delays etc. they enjoy
parametric eqs a lot, applying them to the bass and to other
frequencies, and for filtering the input and feedback of the delays.
Operator, Selector (DJ) and the MC or singer are the common setup.
Rumors tell that the role of the selector is sometimes split up into a
real selector, only selecting the records, and a DJ who is actually
playing them out.

best,