[LAU] Making videos with jack and a webcam or something else, band recording.

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri May 7 07:36:10 UTC 2010

On 05/07/2010 03:33 PM, Loki Davison wrote:
> Can blender record from a webcam? Through l4v2?

I don't think blender has video record functionality. You can use
something like cheese cam for recording from your webcam and there are a
couple of other similar apps.

> Any recommendation
> between cheap camera and webcam?

I would use a combination to get a good sample archive of video footage
for a music video. That way you can mix and match the footage to create
a more dynamic story for the viewer.

> Not obviously embarrassingly bad sync
> and quality suitable for youtube. :) Prefer not to spend much money.

A camera phone will provide good enough quality for a youtube music
video. You can alse apply some fx to the footage to make things more
interesting. There are options for converting low res video to higher
res but of course you loose some of the quality in the conversion.
Using Blender you can do things like inserting low quality clips into a
larger high res frame with a dynamic background image if you want to get
tricky. You can even have multiple frames layered over your background
image.

LiVes has a good selection of video fx that you can use to create
sequences that you can then import into blender for post prod editing.

> I'd lean to the cheap camera and syncing afterwards if this is very
> straight forward.

I think this would be a good start. That way you can use a tripod and
also get some more interesting angles going on.