[LAU] Are my sound cards really dead?

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sat May 8 02:25:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 07:05:55PM -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I've got 2 dead sound devices and am wondering if there is any way to
> determine if the death is complete or a software issue?
>
> 1. My Audiophile 2496 has been working for years in my computer. A few
> months ago it just stopped. At the time I figured it was a software
> upgrade issue with pulseaudio, etc. so I pulled the card and ran with
> the on-board sound on my Asus motherboard. Didn't sound wonderful, but
> not to bad ... and I really did intend to upgrade the software "real
> soon" so I just lived with it. Until today...
>
> 2. the on board sound on the Asus MB decided that "white noise" was
> much more appreciated by me than the Ornette Coleman which I was
> playing. Okay, it might be right ... but several reboots later it was
> still insisting on static.
>
> So, I reinstalled the 2496 but it refuses to output anything. Even
> tried with the envy24control program and was unable to get any bars to
> show any activity.

hmmm. what about trying this command to see if the correct
module is loaded?

	lsmod | grep 1712   # should show snd-ice1712

If that fails, you can try unplugging and replugging the card.

If the driver is loaded, try checking this:

	cat /proc/asound/cards

If that works, you could still be having a mixer issue.

Hope that helps

Joel