[LAU] Please help with audio interfaces that keep changing after reboot

Sat May 8 17:09:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 19:17 -0400, Geoff King wrote:
> Hello,
> I have problem that I've been trying to figure out with no luck.  The
> audio interface keeps changing for example:
>
> Today:  Maudio 24/96 is hw:1 and Midisport 4x4 Anniv is hw:0.
> Yesterday before reboot: Maudio 24/96 is hw:0 and Midisport 4x4 Anniv is hw:1
> etc, back and forth, each reboot...
> I usually use qjackctl and have to keep changing the presets with
> settings which is annoying.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me some clues
> or links on how to fix this?
>
> I'm Using Fedora 12 w CCRMA.

While you can force the order with the proper index=xx incantations in
modprobe.d/ files, that will fail if the computer is booted with a usb
sound card attached.

The proper fix is to not use the index (a number) when addressing the
card but use the name of the card. That will never change across
reboots. So, instead of "hw:0" use "hw:NAME" where NAME is what is shown
between square brackets in the output of cat /proc/asound/cards

-- Fernando