[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

Mon May 10 01:00:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 18:23 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

>         Now that would be shocking I'd say. Since Suse 8.0 the ICE1712
>         was
>         always the most reliable chipset one could possibly find for
>         Linux. So
>         that would be a major regression and should be a show-stopper
>         for alsa.
>
>         BUT: the link points to a bug that affects puls audio and it
>         affects it
>         with a EWS88MT wich is one of the not-so typical ICE1712-cards
>         like the
>         EWX or the MAudio Audiophile and Delta-Series.
>
>         So how about these cards and alsa/jack? Any trouble out there
>         with
>         bleeding-edge distros?
>

> my reading of this (and the related ALSA bug report) is that this is a
> Pulse-only bug, because its related to Pulse's attempt to provide a
> mapping of whatever-it-is-that-the-hw-provides into
> standard-things-that-users-can-know-and-love.
>
> JACK will just use the channels as single, undifferentiated channels
> and doesn't care about their names, function,etc. etc.
>
> i could be wrong in my assessment.

I think you are correct. Pulse points to alsa as the culprit, alsa
ignores the issue, it may _not_ be an issue for alsa, I don't know. The
end result is that it has not been fixed and it has been quite a while.

I have a workaround in place for my machines at ccrma...

-- Fernando