[LAU] Support for Novation SL Mk II ?

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Mon May 10 17:12:08 UTC 2010

Michael Ost wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Michael Ost wrote:
>>> Which kernel module would have to be tweaked? "find . -name nova\*"
>>> in my 2.6.24 kernel source directory didn't turn up any likely names.
>>
>> sound/usb/usbquirks.h (or quirks-table.h in the latest ALSA)
>
> Thanks, found it. I've got a message out to Novation to see if this
> other keyboard works the same. I appreciate the help! ... mo

Novation says "SL MkII is actually a class-compliant MIDI device, but we
provide a driver on Windows to support additional features.  As such,
the data is in exactly the same format as our other class compliant
devices (ReMOTE 25). X-Station and Speedio are different and require
their own driver for audio, I can't actually confirm if they can work as
MIDI devices without the audio driver off the top of my head."

 From a later mail, to clarify what are "additional features": The
"additional features" I mentioned are forAutomap - the main problem is
that if the device communicates with the host via MIDI, and then the
Automap server uses that MIDI data to control other things, the user can
sometimes end up with one control modifying two parameters - one via
Automap and one via MIDI.  This is confusing! So we do not expose the
Automap data port (endpoint 3 on the SL MkII) as a MIDI port, and
instead use our driver to talk to it behind the scenes.

Looks like the SL MkII will do MIDI fine, but it won't do Automap.

Cheers... mo