[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon May 10 18:31:46 UTC 2010

Am 10.05.2010 13:21, schrieb Paul Davis:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin at linuxuse.de>wrote:
>

>> What I am trying to say is: the PA-people should be aware, that there is
>> pro-audio-hardware out there, that can be used for desktop-audio too but
>> is still quite different by design compared with the average HDA-chip.
>>

> I think you should STOP immediately labelling Lennart and anyone else
> involved in PulseAudio. You simply don't know what they know.

Of course I do not. But reading the thread mentioned I understand that
Lennart complains that alsa does not offer a front-speaker output for a
card that simply does not have such a thing.

Maybe I misunderstand that. Actually I would be happy to. Maybe he only
tried to express, that he would like alsa to say what ports of the Delta
are actually connected to physical outputs.

Then I would be happy to apologize.

But: the discussion is about a card, that worked flawlessly for years, a
card that worked so well, that it is one of the No1 recommendations for
Linux Audio.
And now users ask: can I still buy that card? Should I sell it on ebay
and get - yes what shall they get?

> Lennart is
> actually much more familiar with what pro-audio/music creation needs are
> than the vast majority of posters on this list are about the issues faced by
> desktop and mobile audio.

As I stated before:
I actaully advocate PA wherever I can because  think it has the best
concept to solve all the Linux Audio mess you have complained about the
same as many others.
BUT: PA is out now for some time and there are dozens of sites
explaining how to get rid of it and thousands of posts on mailing lists
and fora full of rants about it that usually do NOT end with a link to a
properly written and working how-to-fix it but with a link to a
how-to-get-rid of it.

I do not say and I find it hard to imagine, that Lennart does not know
about pro-audio needs. But he does not seem to give it any particular
high priority. If "awareness" is not the right word to use in that
matter then I apologize for being not as familiar as needed with the
English language. But facts are facts: most pro-audio people hate PA.
And this hatred:

1) cannot exist whithout any reason
2) is harmfull and should be stopped by eliminating these reasons.

For some of these reasons distributors are responsible but I do not see,
that the PA-project is pushing hard to make these problems go away.
Maybe they do but if so, then it is not known among the users. The users
do not say: "My evil, stupid distributor has broken PA, that could be so
great if it only would be integrated properly."

That is, what the users say about jack.

> Many posters to this list also display a
> remarkable level of ignorance about how PA actually works, how it is
> configured and what it can do.

Problem with tools to configure it maybe? Or user-oriented documentation?

What about this one:
Jack is officially included in Ubnuntu 10.4 that is: there are
jack-plugins not only for xine(that work perfectly OK for years now...)
but for PA also. But if I install the jack-plugin for PA it does nothing
and I cannot find any way to make PA use a jack-sink or source.

best regards

HZN