[LAU] HP DVD840 optical drive not recognized by Ubuntu Studio

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Tue May 11 04:02:43 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I rarely post here, because I am not in your league, technically speaking.
But I have not been able to read or write optical media since I upgraded
from Ubuntu Studio 8.04 to 9.10 some months ago.  I have posted all over the
place, and filed a bug report in Launchpad (#544772), shown people all kinds
of terminal reports, loaded some kernel modules--sorry I can't document it
here, it's spread all over the place.  In the end, still no drive.

Last weekend I did a fresh install of 10.04, just to see if anything
changed.  The only difference is there is no longer even a menu item for CD
or DVD drives (though there is one for floppy drives[!]).  I installed from
a DVD, and at first boot, the drive it had just installed from, no longer
existed as far as the system could tell.  I can boot live CDs, and if I boot
generic Ubuntu from a flash drive, I can use the CD/DVD drive.

Can this be fixed, or is this just obsolete hardware?  Is there a better
distro for this drive?  What information do you folks need to help me figure
this out?  I don't like having a multimedia production machine that can't
even play a CD, much less save projects to one.

Thanks,

Paul in Seattle