[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue May 11 09:56:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 07:55:05AM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 22:47 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-05-10 22:20:44 +0200:
> > > Apart from that, *if* you want 'desktop sound' then PA is probably
> > > the best thing since sliced bread. I was *very* surprised to learn
> > > that PA at the moment does not have a native API, at least not one
> > > Lennart would want to advocate. PA would gain a lot of appeal by
> > > providing that.
> >
> > It surprises me too to read this, especially since there seems to be an
> > increasing number of applications that talk to PA directly. So it seems
> > that the API is used even without advocation.
>
> I believe Lennart mentioned that the API is not yet totally stable? Apps
> do use it, however, and they will have to be updated if it changes.
> That's my understanding, in the least.

What I understood is that the API has become too big and
complicated and that Lennart would prefer a cleanup rather
than have the current version cast in stone.

Another matter is the basic PCM interface Lennart proposed
which would include the possibility to review the contents
of a large output buffer, providing both interactivity and
a low service request rate.

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?