[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed May 12 16:01:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 09:14 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>

>         PA tries to do all of this at once, and at least on the
>         desktop it fails
>         often enough. Sure, many user complaints are old and the
>         problems might
>         be solved, but many users are fed up with it already and don't
>         ever want
>         to try it again.
>
> The users that I have seen who are fed up with are generally people
> who are trying to get JACK and PA to work on the same system with only
> a single audio interface. The impression that I have (and it may be
> wrong) is that users who don't try to do this are reasonably happy
> with PA to the extent that ALSA works correctly for their Intel HDA
> chipset. They get features that people have wanted for a long, long
> time (device sharing, per-app sound control, switching output based on
> jack-sensing status, on-the-fly device switching and more) and most of
> this stuff works really well. The headaches seem to come mostly from
> the same place that a lot of JACK user complaints come from these
> days: poor/incomplete/hard to use HDA driver support.

The other group of people who are fed up are those who had problems with
the early PA-releases in various distros (Ubuntu mostly), solved them by
removing PA, and have since them removed PA on every install/upgrade. Of
course, this starts causing problems, which are then blamed on PA, even
though the original issues which caused them to want to remove in the
first place have been fixed.

Its amazing how single-minded Linux users can be over something like
this. Isn't a big part of Linux choice, flexibility, and all that?

Btw, off-topic, its amazing to see the author of JACK defending PA,
since most of the time I hear JACK-pros dissing it.