[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

Frank Kober goemusic at yahoo.fr
Thu May 13 08:32:36 UTC 2010

"linux-audio-user" <linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>

--- En date de : Jeu 13.5.10, Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Having a 'disable PA' button is fine, and I think Mandriva
> does it
> (hearsay), but it adds a lot of burden on the maintainers.
> Do you
> default your standard apps to PA support (which works
> better if PA is
> running but doesn't work with standard ALSA at all) or to
> ALSA (which
> hopefully runs the same both with or without PA, but
> doesn't then take
> advantage of PA features such as sound-category-labelling).
> Should BT
> headsets just not work once PA is disabled (previous method
> in ALSA
> requires setting the ID in .asoundrc manually, will a
> script be written
> to do that)? Does the 'disable PA' button also have to
> reconfigure all
> audio apps such that they output to ALSA instead of PA?

Yes Mandriva has a button for disabling PA, and it hopefully will continue to have it :)
Still, Peter's response to my other post (thank you Peter) shows me a problem here, which is that the mdv system sound seems to default to card0 in case you disable PA, and I haven't located an .asoundrc file so far. This seems to be new..., but it is why index appeared important to me, for a false reason, obviously.
I think the best would be to add a selector to the draksound conf tool which (in case PA is disabled) would scan available devices and lets you choose the one used by default and write .asoundrc? It currently only allows selecting a driver module, but not the default device.
Desktop applications' sound seem to go by alsa in any case, except those having native pa backend, the disable button doesn't reconfigure every app's default backends.
Regards
Frank