[LAU] Why JACK MIDI rocks (was Re: perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio))

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu May 13 13:50:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> For example, when implementing a MIDI CC the flow of my code will be
> something like this:
>
>   [3 bytes MIDI] -----(ALSA)----> snd_seq_event_t
>   snd_seq_event_t ----(GABE)----> [3 bytes MIDI] + timestamp
>
> I would say that this is undermining the ways it's trying to help me.
>
> I could drop the seq API and use the raw MIDI API, but then I lose the
> time-stamp.  (Unless I've misunderstood something somewhere....)
>
> In contrast, the JACK MIDI API is something like this:
>
>  [3 bytes MIDI] ----(JACK)----> [3 bytes MIDI] + timestamp
>
> Which is beautiful. :-)

I don't know if it's relevant, but last year I struggled with trying to
sync Ardour to MTC from my Akai MPC2000, and I never succeeded until I
switched to using Jack Midi in QJackCtl.  This all might really explain
why that happened...  I couldn't get it to work at all with just Alsa
Midi.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky