[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu May 13 13:56:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 00:10 -1000, david wrote:
> Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> >> IMHO, the obvious solution would be for them to simply stop wasting their
> >> time on PA and make an existing and better solution (JACK) better. ;-)
> >>

> > JACK and PA are not aimed at the same problem, and as such are not
> > either-or in the same way alsa/OSS are. IMO JACK cannot be used as a
> > general desktop-audio solution, per-app volume, BT headsets, moving
> > audio streams between sound-cards, all cannot be done with JACK as-is
> > right now.
>
> JACK "as-is" could be given those abilities, I'm sure. But PA wants to
> spend their resources on their project.

JACK is not targetted at the same things. I highly doubt software amping
in the JACK server, connectivity with high-latency BT headsets, and
multi-card setups (with corresponding timing drifts) is at all on the
roadmap for JACK. That's not what its for.

You don't like PA, and that's fine. But implying that the PA devs
intentionally ignored JACK in order to develop a competitor is plain-out
untrue.

> > Again, PA is not aimed at pro-audio, JACK is. Conversely, JACK is not
> > aimed at desktop audio, and none of us would like it to be taken in
> > that direction I think.
>
> I've heard things from the PA camp saying that with PA, you don't need
> JACK ...
>
> Anyway, no PA here. Don't need it to play MP3s. Don't need to hear
> stupid, pointless audio notifications from desktop software, either - on
> ANY OS I use.

Yes, FUD is common anywhere on the Internet. Opinions are just that.
Your opinion is that desktop notifications are pointless, most new Linux
users wonder why Gaim (Empathy now, I guess) doesn't inform them when
their friends send an IM. I don't think its too hard to ask you to look
beyond your usage scenario to see the usefulness of PA.