[LAU] [OT] Video editing - working with DVDs

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Thu May 13 14:15:44 UTC 2010

Hi Julien,

I'm not sure how double layer DVDs are lay out, as I hardly ever used
one, so the following might not be useful...
But, I've done quite a lot of this for an event using 'regular' DVDs and
having to split and cut files which eventually had to play from a single
machine. In that case if the DVDs weren't encrypted it was simply copy
the vob files and often reconcatenating them on hard disk (vob files can
be simply concatenated using cat), then splitting them. If all I needed
was split and cut (with some useful stuff like de-interlace etc) I used
avidemux. Otherwise for full editing etc., cinelerra.

IF the DVDs were encrypted the process was much more of a hassle (and
longer) but doable: I mostly used k3b and (if I recall correctly)
certain codecs and libs for handling (even just playing) encrypted DVDs
(I'm on ubuntu).

Hope this helps,
Lorenzo.