[LAU] Distribution Usage?

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Thu May 13 22:11:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:57:56AM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> I've been using Mandriva for a very long time now, as it's been good
> to me for audio work.  But, they are having financial troubles and
> looking to be bought out.  Maybe they'll survive that, and maybe they
> won't.  At some point I might want to change distributions.

To piggyback onto this question, how far is Linux audio
performance a distibution dependence thing?

To wit:

1. There are some kernel settings related to audio
performance. These are easily found for those interested
to compile their own kernel. Can't pretty much any
kernel be run from any distribution?

2. Isn't JACK and ALSA configuration pretty much kernel
indpendent and distribution independent? For example,
you can start the JACK server with whatever parameters you
want, and ALSA asoundrc is also independently configurable.

3. Each application requires some configuration, including
compiler options during build. Do some distributions handle
this so much more wisely than others? For example, is the
Planet CCRMA version of Ardour better than the Debian
version?

Curiously yours,

Joel

--