[LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri May 14 06:50:46 UTC 2010

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 00:10 -1000, david wrote:
>> Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
>>>>
>>> JACK and PA are not aimed at the same problem, and as such are not
>>> either-or in the same way alsa/OSS are. IMO JACK cannot be used as a
>>> general desktop-audio solution, per-app volume, BT headsets, moving
>>> audio streams between sound-cards, all cannot be done with JACK as-is
>>> right now.
>> JACK "as-is" could be given those abilities, I'm sure. But PA wants to
>> spend their resources on their project.
>
> JACK is not targetted at the same things. I highly doubt software amping
> in the JACK server, connectivity with high-latency BT headsets, and
> multi-card setups (with corresponding timing drifts) is at all on the
> roadmap for JACK. That's not what its for.
>
> You don't like PA, and that's fine. But implying that the PA devs
> intentionally ignored JACK in order to develop a competitor is plain-out
> untrue.
>
>>> Again, PA is not aimed at pro-audio, JACK is. Conversely, JACK is not
>>> aimed at desktop audio, and none of us would like it to be taken in
>>> that direction I think.
>> I've heard things from the PA camp saying that with PA, you don't need
>> JACK ...
>>
>> Anyway, no PA here. Don't need it to play MP3s. Don't need to hear
>> stupid, pointless audio notifications from desktop software, either - on
>> ANY OS I use.
>>
> Yes, FUD is common anywhere on the Internet. Opinions are just that.

Opinions are not FUD. What I say about PA isn't FUD, either. My opinion
is that it is utterly useless for any audio purpose. It's certainly not
needed to simply play an MP3 or hear a silly beep (if that's your
preference).

> Your opinion is that desktop notifications are pointless, most new Linux
> users wonder why Gaim (Empathy now, I guess) doesn't inform them when
> their friends send an IM. I don't think its too hard to ask you to look
> beyond your usage scenario to see the usefulness of PA.

Most Linux and Windows users I know (I work with MANY Windows users at a
corporation of 1600 employees) have desktop sound notifications turned
off. They don't want them intruding on their MP3 listening!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community