[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat May 15 03:33:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Rick Green wrote:
>  It's about time I finally upgrade my studio machine from UbuntuStudio 8.04.
>  I loaded US 10.04 on a test machine, and was able to run qjackctl, jackd,
> and ardour briefly, but then got scared off by another thread here talking
> about broken FFADO and nasty interactions with PulseAudio.  I also ran into
> a bug in xorg that affects any motif-based applications (right-click context
> menus don't work, and result in a virtual lock-up) I'm following the
> 'distribution usage' thread, looking for the current 'best option', as I
> have a recording gig scheduled for next Thursday, and I'd like to be able to
> validate a new install on my test machine, then perform another install on
> the studio laptop before then.  There aren't enough hours in the day...
>  Currently the test system is loaded with Fedora 12 + CCRMA.  My first
> attempt to start jack returned some error messages, so I edited
> /etc/security/limits.conf as requested, added myself to the audio group,
> installed the RT+PAE kernel from the CCRMA repository, rebooted, and tried
> it again.  Now when I try to start jack from qjackctl (with defaults only),
> it quickly results in qjackctl aborting, leaving jack zombified and
> unkillable.
>  Any hints on how to get around this, or do I simply blow it away and try
> the next distro on the list(www.linux-sound.org/distro.html), which looks
> like it might be AVLinux?
>
> I have past experience with Redhat and SuSe, and for the past three years,
> almost exclusively Ubuntu variants, so I'm trying to focus on .deb or .rpm
> -based distros.

Hello,
I am in the Audio Production team of Fedora, we work collaboratively
with CCRMA. We need further information to find the problem.

* First, what version of jack and what version of kernel are you
using? Fedora comes with jack1, whereas the CCRMA has jack2 which
would replace jack1 if you choose so. (We are planning to import jack2
to Fedora soon.)

* What recommendations did you follow for setting
/etc/security/limits.conf? We need to make sure you didn't follow an
advise from a random link from the web. CCRMA's jack2 needs different
settings than Fedora's jack1. CCRMA's jack2  package does the
modifications in /etc/security/limits.conf automatically. Fedora's
jack1  does need some manual tweaking, as specified in
/usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/README.Fedora

* What error messages do you get?

* You talked about interactions with pulseaudio but what did you end
up doing? Did you uninstall it?

I recommend joining the CCRMA mailing list, as there are many more
people there to help you. e.g. I can't help you much pulseaudio since
I always remove it from my systems, but there are people at CCRMA who
use it.