[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat May 15 07:00:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Rick Green wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>> * First, what version of jack and what version of kernel are you
>> using? Fedora comes with jack1, whereas the CCRMA has jack2 which
>> would replace jack1 if you choose so. (We are planning to import jack2
>> to Fedora soon.)
>
>  I'm running the version that came with the fedora 12 install.  That system
> is out in the garage, and I'm in the house right now, but I think it
> reported v0.113 or something like that when it started.  I'm running one of
> the CCRMA kernels, I think the first one, without the PAE.

Do a
$ rpm -q jack-audio-connection-kit
If this shows you
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0-1.fc12.<arch>
that means you are using Fedora's jack. If it shows you
jack-audio-connection-kit-1.94-1.fc12.ccrma.<arch>
you are using CCRMA's jack.

>> * What recommendations did you follow for setting
>> /etc/security/limits.conf? We need to make sure you didn't follow an
>> advise from a random link from the web. CCRMA's jack2 needs different
>> settings than Fedora's jack1. CCRMA's jack2  package does the
>> modifications in /etc/security/limits.conf automatically. Fedora's
>> jack1  does need some manual tweaking, as specified in
>> /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/README.Fedora
>>
>  Again, this is from memory, but it was the recommendation that jack itself
> put into the qjackctl 'messages' window.  I think it was something like
> this:
>  @audio - rtprio 100
>  @audio - nice -10

Assuming you are using Fedora's jack (see above), please remove the
lines you added from limits.conf. Then make sure that your username is
in the jackuser group, and in the pulse-rt group (even if you don't
use pulse this setting won't hurt).

You can add your user to these groups by manually editing /etc/group
and adding your username next to these groups, or by running the
system-config-users GUI application and adding the groups to your
username.

Then log-out, log back in or reboot. Now you should have a properly
running jack.

This information is also in the
/usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/README.Fedora file.
Check that file out to see if there is anything else you are missing.

>  > * What error messages do you get?
>  Just the above, along with something about current user not permitted to
> run RT options, so I set up the limits as requested, and added myself to the
> audio group.
>
>  >
>
>> * You talked about interactions with pulseaudio but what did you end
>> up doing? Did you uninstall it?
>
>  No that was just negative comments I read on the mailinglist.  I haven't
> any indication that my problems are due to PA, yet.  Does fedora use PA?
> That was one of the reasons I tried fedora 12, because I heard that Ubuntu
> was too entangled with PA.

Unfortunately yes. Fedora comes with pulseaudio by default. In fact
its developer is a Fedora contributor so that poor Fedora users get
exposed to his experiments. However it is easy to remove pulseaudio.
You just need to do
# yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio  pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-jack
In fact, you can remove almost all pulseaudio packages from your
system, except pulseaudio-libs and wine-pulseaudio (if you are using
wine).

>> I recommend joining the CCRMA mailing list, as there are many more
>> people there to help you. e.g. I can't help you much pulseaudio since
>> I always remove it from my systems, but there are people at CCRMA who
>> use it.
>>
>> Your experience and opinion are important for us since we don't want
>> the initial set up to be a turndown for new users.
>
>  I agree!  The planetCCRMA @home web page was easy to follow, up until the
> point that it suggested browsing the repository to select packages. With
> fedora 13 only days away, why is the ccrma-audio meta-package still only
> available for fedora 11?

Don't know about that. You way want to ask Fernando in CCRMA's list.

>  I also had trouble trying to install jack.  qjackctl didn't draw it in, and
> yum wouldn't install jack, jackd, or jackdmp. WTF is the package called??!
>  I finally just launched qjackctl and pressed the 'start' button, expecting
> to get a message about 'jack not found' and maybe a pointer to the proper
> package.  I was quite surprised to see jackd start up!  It must be a part of
> the default fedora install.  But then, I can't seem to keep it running for
> more than 30 seconds...

That's weird.
$ rpm -qR qjackctl
libjack.so.0()(64bit)

This means that the libjack.so should be dragged in by qjackctl. The
jack package is called "jack-audio-connection-kit". I am not sure if
it is in the default Fedora install. But it is easy to get it
installed. Make sure you also have the alsa-plugins-jack package
installed.
# yum install jack-audio-connection-kit alsa-plugins-jack

Let us know how things go.

Orcan