[LAU] app for simple editing and recording?

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat May 15 23:52:05 UTC 2010

> I'd need to:
> 1) - open mp3/wav files, do some trimming and fade ins/outs and save to
> mp3/wav
> 2) - do some recordings of JACK-apps

Although you mention the ability to load MP3 files as a necessity, I would
advise you
to convert them to WAV, import them into Ardour as regions, and then edit to
your hearts
content.

Advantages: No damage to audio files it things get messy, Ardour has lots of
great features
Disadvantages: A little more work to convert files, and they take up a
little more space...

How to convert?: I would use Sox, or SoundConverter.
Sox is a command-line app that can convert anything to everything.. :-)
SoundConverter is a GTK+ sound converter, does the basics of MP3, WAV, OGG,
AIFF etc.

Hope that helps! -Harry