[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Mon May 17 02:12:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 21:27 -0400, Rick Green wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Niels Mayer wrote:
> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
> > Speaking of pulseaudio, http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html is
> > a potential bad interaction between pulseaudio and jack (through
> > /etc/security/limits.conf, potential priority escalation issue).
> >
>    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll read the articles at those links,
> but for now, I'm trying to figure out how to make this system work with a
> vanilla configuration as supplied by fedora + CCRMA.  My belief is if
> those tweaks are necessary, they'll be implemented in either the fedora or
> CCRMA install scripts.

Not that many "tweaks". The ability for all users to run jack with
realtime scheduling is "added" when you install the Planet CCRMA jack
package. That thread talks about some security problems that could arise
with the use of realtime scheduling, that is definitely not the source
of your problems.

>    a few more observations since my last post:
>
>    'desktop' audio isn't working either.

I was expecting that.

> I just realized that I'm getting
> no beeps or startup sounds from fedora.  The motherboard sound system was
> detected and automagically configured by Ubuntu, but F12 seems to have
> detected it, but not generated a functional configuration.  I wonder if
> that is causing the lock-ups of jackd and Ardour?

Most probably (as I state in another email).
You have to first go back to testing very basic stuff.

Hmmm.... I don't know what would be best....

For starters tell us which soundcard you have, that could help
("cat /proc/asound/cards").

Do you have a .wav file handy? You could try playing that using aplay.
That is, in a terminal type "aplay NAME_OF_WAV_FILE.wav". Do you get
sound? Any errors? Is the level up? (there should be a small "speaker"
icon in your top panel, use it to bring up the level).

If there is no sound and no errors what is it that happens?

> The fedora12 installation didn't detect the other OS installs on the
> system, and it over-wrote the MBR, so right now I haven't figured out how
> to boot into either my kubuntu 7.10 or Ubuntustudio 10.04 systems.  I've
> looked at the grub.conf on the various partitions, and they have radically
> different syntax, so it looks like f12 and US10.04 are running different
> versions of grub, with different config syntax, so I can't simply
> cut'n'paste a few menuentry sections into the f12 grub.conf.

AFAIK fc12 uses the "normal" grub? I'm not sure. _Some_ distro had
switched to grub2 but I don't know which. Argh.......

-- Fernando