[LAU] [Sort of OT] Ringing in filters

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon May 17 09:29:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:12:06PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> [...]
> > > sufficiently flexible software.
> > >
> > > 	eq: Parametric1 1 0 0 40 0.125 0 0 200 0.125 0 0 600 0.125 0 0 3300 0.125 0
> > >
> > > 	low_pass: lowpass_iir 106 2
> > >
> > > 	mid_pass: bandpass_iir 520 800 2
> > >
> > > 	high_pass: highpass_iir 1030 2
> > >
> > > 	compressor: sc4 0 3 16 0 1 3.25 0
> > >
> > > 	spatialiser: matrixSpatialiser 0
> > >
> > > 	limiter: tap_limiter 0 0
> > >

> > This is interesting. Never thought of building a DIY
> > mastering system out of LADSPA plugins, but I guess it
> > couldn't hurt.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> The network here is based on the one used in Jamin.
>
> > I'm not sure how to match up the settings you have here
> > with the ASCII diagram above. i.e. where does the
> > spatializer and limiter fit in?
>
>                 +-- low --+
> mix ----> eq ---+-- mid --+-- boost ---> output
>                 +-- high -+
>
> The low/mid/high branches each get a spatializer
> and compressor.
>
> The limiter goes on the boost track. Could be a
> brick-wall limiter, however the scaling limiter
> is OOTB defaut.
>
> > And why is the parametric
> > in front of the three high/mid/low pass filters, and what
> > purpose does it serve?
>
> Same as any equalizer: for boosting/cutting various
> frequency ranges, which may not correspond to the
> low/mid/high bands.
>
> > Also, I'm assuming that the SC4 has
> > the same settings for each band, at least for starters.
>
> Yes, zero compression is the default (see Julien's notes
> below).
>
> > Also, I'm not sure how to route this in stereo. I thought
> > SC4 was mono anyway. I'd guess that the compressors for
> > each band should be stereo compressors, ganged togehter in
> > some way (RMS?), like perhaps the Calf Compressor is.
>
> In this case, Ecasound is hosting the LADSPA effects.
> I believe Ecasound gangs the effect if necessary
> to obtain the correct number of channels.
>
> > I feel limited here by ASCII art, and also by how to do
> > the routing in for example Ardour, which might be really
> > complex, or maybe in something like Ingen.
>
> Well, you could try installing Nama. Then you get
> your mastering network by issuing 'master_on' at
> the prompt.
>
> > The GLAME settings make sense to me: all 2-pole filters,
> > with the lowpass rolling off at 106, the bandpass at 520
> > and 800, and the highpass at 1030.
>
> Under Nama, if you want to use GLAME plugins instead of the
> default filters, you can just substitute the plugin name or
> LADSPA Unique ID into the appropriate configuration file
> lines quoted above.
>
> (Incidentally, I'm just getting ready to release a 1.0x
> version. I've just today uploaded version 1.056 to CPAN,
> but it has yet to show up. 1.055 is broken.)
>
> > How would these LADSPA filters compare to, for example,
> > postfish?
>
> In my untutored opinion, all conventional mastering tools
> will use a somewhat similar network and similar effects.

They do indeed seem similar in layout. As for the quality of the filters in them, that varies. But if we're all using the same LADSPA effects, the results should be comparable.

> If you understand how to use the individual effects, I think
> there will not be any unfathomable mystery in the aggregate.
> The mystery and artistry will be in your own creative
> choices.
>
> What I think Jamin does better than the others is that
> it allows you to use different mastering parameters (scenes)
> for different parts of the song.
>
> Ron Parker is a respected engineer who not only approves of
> Jamin but also wrote the mastering with Jamin tutorial.
>
> http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/tutorial.html
>
> You say you hear some artifacts. Did you ever approach
> the author?

Well, Fons kind of sniffed at Jamin-- "you are mastering through a vocoder"-- and I've seen and heard the quality of his code so I tell he knows a LOT more than most folks about DSP. Meanwhile, the code of JAMIN looks like some cut-and-paste filters off of a web forum, and indeed their EQ is an FFT. The GUI is pretty and well-organized, but I'm not sure if what's going on underneath the hood is any good.

My ears are not good enough to hear DSP artifacts-- and to know that's what they are. I did have some problems in the 6K and 12K range, which I fixed in the mix (my mixer going straight to the mastering stage in one chain). And I guess I'm just worried that I may have used a tool that introduced artifacts I can't hear or see, but others will. It's not a big deal. It's not like millions of CD's are going to get printed up.

> > I'm really starting to wish I'd used postfish
> > instead of JAMIN now.
>
> Is Postfish current? It's not on the Linux Sound and MIDI
> Applications page, and the last journal entry for postfish
> I see is 2004:
>
> http://xiphmont.livejournal.com/595.html

Yeah, it's old. But it's very cool, and Monty certainly knows his DSP.

> # Julien Claassen's Notes on Mastering effect defaults
> #
> # Eq: All sections are initially off. You can turn them
> # on as needed, one at a time.
> #
> # Bandpass: Default settings are courtesy of Fons
> # Adriaensen, who says they will be within 1.5dB of
> # flat settings.
> #
> # Compressor is turned off, with reasonable default values
> # set.
> #
> # Spatialiser and limiter: both initially off so you can start out
> # clean and slowly work your way from there.

Thanks!

-ken